My practice focuses on all aspects of business law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate reorganizations, and corporate finance. I also have extensive experience in the negotiation of shareholder agreements, investor rights agreements, advising on corporate governance matters, and assisting clients with other commercial arrangements.
I work closely with the firm’s tax & estate planning group, focusing primarily on corporate structuring, restructuring and private financing transactions.
- Force Inspection Services Inc., on the acquisition of Shawcor Ltd.’s oilfield asset management division and related acquisition financing (debt and equity), establishing Force Inspection as the preeminent Western Canadian provider of full-service inspection, repair, and machining of oilfield tubulars and related services.
- Advanced Electrical Services Ltd., a provider of electrical power and distribution products and services, on the cross-border sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to RESA Power, LLC, an Investcorp portfolio company.
- Vault 44.01 Ltd., a leading carbon capture and storage developer focused on the development, capitalization, and operation of carbon storage assets throughout North America, on its cross-border reorganization, US$5 million initial capital contribution and US$150 million follow-on capital commitment from Grey Rock Investment Partners.
- Linewise Aerial Solutions Inc., a provider of technology-forward transmission line inspection services, on the cross-border sale of its business and assets to Surveying and Mapping, LLC, a Peak Rock Capital portfolio company.
- Variperm Canada Limited, a SCF Partners portfolio company, on its cross-border acquisition of RGL Reservoir Management Inc. and its wholly-owned US-subsidiary, Pacific Perforating, Inc., establishing Variperm as a global leader in the sand and flow control space with operations in Canada and the United States.
- A private Alberta-based hospitality company on the concurrent sale of two Ontario-based restaurants.
- AdvEn Industries Inc., a private Alberta-based advanced energy and environmental technology company, on the spinout of two non-core technologies and the subsequent acquisition by Nano Innovations Inc. of all of AdvEn’s issued and outstanding shares.
- TooliTech Inc., a BC-based technology company specializing in innovative, sustainable, industrial-scale cryptocurrency mining, on a variety of corporate commercial matters including seed and early-stage financing rounds.
- A private Alberta-based fluids management company with operations across Western Canada, on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including a tax-efficient recapitalization and shareholder succession initiative.
- A private FinTech company on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including seed and early-stage financing rounds, the latter of which was led by a technology-focused venture capital firm.
- A private SaaS company (automated customer acquisition technology) on a variety of corporate and commercial matters.
- A Netherlands-based private equity firm in connection with its majority investment in a Canadian-based thermal science and technology company.
- An agriculture equipment company in connection with its sale to a private equity firm.
- A private combustion equipment integration and service company in connection with a variety of corporate and commercial matters including shareholder and management succession initiatives.
- A public software and technology company on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including dilutive and non-dilutive financings, the divestiture of a non-core business unit, and the development of its cleantech enhanced oil recovery technology.
- A private water logistics company on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including a tax-efficient recapitalization and the execution of its acquisition and diversification strategy.
- A private R&D and consulting firm (development and deployment of novel technologies in connection with energy systems, space and defence, theory and computation, blockchain and cybersecurity, medical technology, and advanced research projects) on a variety of corporate and commercial matters.
- A vertical innovation and urbanization company (disruptive hybrid concrete and steel modular technology) on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including joint ventures, strategic investments, and shareholder and management succession initiatives.
- A private cannabis retailer on a variety of corporate and commercial matters including seed and early-stage financing rounds, strategic investments, and complex commercial arrangements.
- A private equity firm in connection with the formation and capitalization of its investment funds and related debt and equity investment strategies.
- A private investment fund in connection with it tax-driven restructuring.
- A private investment company in connection with its acquisition of a majority equity interest in a private oilfield tubular inspection and repair company and related restructuring.
- A private oilfield product and services company in connection with the $214 million sale of its business and assets to the artificial lift division of a global oilfield product and services company.
- A private oilfield services company in connection with its sale of a majority equity interest to a global oilfield product and services company based on an enterprise value of $92 million.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Institute of Corporate Directors, Director (ICD.D)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Calgary Chapter)
- Next steps for Canada’s budding marijuana industry up to provinces – May 10, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
- Turning to a Mentor – A friendly piece of advice can go far (Quoted) – March 3, 2017 (Lawyer’s Weekly)
- Proposed changes to Income Tax Act spark conversation on succession planning ‘problem’ – February 17, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.)
Select Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, Business Transitions Forum: Taking (Some) Chips Off the Table, Vancouver, British Columba, November 23, 2022
- Chair, Legal Education Society of Alberta: Buying & Selling a Business, Calgary, Alberta, December 3, 2019, and Edmonton, Alberta, December 10, 2019
- Presenter, “Deal Making in Down Markets: Capturing Strategic Opportunities in Distressed Markets by Bridging the Valuation Gap Between Buyers and Sellers” Legal Education Society of Alberta: Buying & Selling a Business, Edmonton, Alberta, April 9, 2015, and Calgary, Alberta, April 23, 2015