My team and I can find ways to help your business expand, transition, restructure or sell with tax efficiency at the forefront of our advice.
We maintain a thorough understanding of the special circumstances, dynamics and legal relationships in private companies that present specialized long term tax planning opportunities and challenges for estate planning and multi-generational business succession.
My focus is on the provision of efficient and creative planning to deliver enduring value.
The tax planning and tax-driven commercial transaction files I am retained on include:
- establishing cross-generational estate and governance plans for business and wealth preservation for high net worth business owners and families
- domestic corporate reorganizations and restructuring
- succession and business exit strategies for private business
- the formation of business structures (incorporations, trusts, partnerships)
- purchases and sales of businesses
- voluntary disclosure applications and tax dispute resolution with the Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian departure tax matters
I have also been retained on several mandates involving the specialized design and implementation of First Nations business structures.
Select Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Co-Presented, September 18, 2017, “Current Case Update 2017” – British Columbia Tax Conference, Canadian Tax Foundation;
- Co-Presented, May 31, 2017, “Succeeding in Business Despite the Global Assault on Tax Planning” – Tax Executives Institute Seminar;
- Co – Presented, May 18, 2017, “Tax on BC Real Estate – What Changed in 2016?” – CPABC Summit Series;
- May 25, 2016, “Structuring Your Business for Sale” – Live on The Simi Sara Show, CKNW Radio;
- Interviewed, November 9, 2015, “Tax Planning for Business Owners” –Live on The Lynda Steele Show, CKNW Radio;
- Interviewed, January 13, 2015, “Year End Tax Planning, Tips & Traps” – Live on The Morning Show with Jon McComb, CKNW Radio;
- Presented, September 26, 2013, “Tax Issues and Opportunities in Business Transactions” – Insight Conference, 2013 Advanced Edition, Drafting and Negotiating Major Business Agreements;
- Presented, October 16, 2012, “Tax Issues Associated with Purchase & Sale Agreements” – Insight Conference, 2012, Major Business Agreements;
- Co-author, “Executive Compensation – Current and Deferred Remuneration Strategies”, presented at the Canadian Tax Foundation British Columbia Tax Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, September 24-25, 2012.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association